Friday, November 6, 2020

Nudity in Art

Perusing the various articles about nudity, sexism, and sexuality in art, one is left with the impression that any depiction of the female form in a primarily titillating fashion is, at best, questionable. We obsess over this quandary. Is it OK to draw or look at drawings of naked women because it pleases us?

Of course the answer is yes. It is OK. To claim otherwise is, in my view, akin to saying sex itself is taboo and not to be discussed in art. Rubbish. Humans are sexual animals. Art is what humans do to make sense of the world. Sex is part of that.

But also, of course, sexual depictions of women can be quite problematic and downright misogynistic. Like I said a million times, it comes down to intent and honesty. Don't make art filled with tits and ass and call it anything other than a tits and ass artwork. I like tits and ass art. I will consume that content. But when it is packaged as something for everyone, something that is serious or otherwise "mainstream", I will call bullshit. This is why it actually does bother me to see overtly sexual images in mainstream comic books. I am bothered by images of Wonder Woman with her tits hanging out or gratuitous shots of her ass... in the comics. I'm fine with pinup artists doing Wonder Woman pics for people who like the pinup art... just don't put it on the primary product and pretend you're doing comics for everyone.

Comics for everyone should be for everyone and a tits and ass book is objectively not for everyone.

Shreya Arora's critique of sexism in mainstream comics.

Speaking of sexism in mainstream comics, artist Shreya Arora famously re-drew a lot of sexist comic covers to highlight the sexism. As far as I know, she targeted only mainstream comics... comics that are sold ostensibly for anyone to read. And this is exactly what I'm talking about. Don't sell me a She Hulk comic that I might give my daughter and load it with tits and She Hulk ass. If I want that, I'll seek out an explicitly pinup-style or adult version of the character by some fan artist. Or maybe Marvel could publish a specifically sexy comic not advertised for everyone.

Honesty. It goes a god damn long way.

5 comments:

  1. In fiction novels and short stories it's just as big of an issue. How to depict the genders, women, gay people, you know the list. It's a moving target, a quickly moving target at that. For example, my primary basis of right and wrong, call it my worldview, was formed in the 90's. When shock was a widely used tool. Shock got them in the door and then you could drop your truth, entertainment, knowledge, or whatevers.

    That's SUPER out of date now.

    Take my current work, for example. There are gay dudes (readers don't know it yet), black people, etc...I don't focus on it though. I'm not writing diversity. Race doesn't matter much at all, and genders are of the binary type. Which puts me WAY out of step if I ever want to win a Hugo or Nebula, or have my shit made into a movie.

    I would argue my work is inclusive by being zero preachy while having a lady as my main hero. Miss Marathon. I'm making a statement, implicitly, that you don't need to call attention to her gender or stomp your feet and be all "I am woman here me roar!!!". She doesn't do that shit. She just fucking roars!

    Since she's a woman, I can give her story arcs of being infertile, via catastrophic injury, which is what triggers powers in my universe. Then, she basically adopts all the people she cares about, protects them. Very maternal. It's her surrogate family. It's all very Fast and Furious ("family, bruh.")

    That's not enough though. I'd have to beat people over the head with it or I'm considered to be "ignoring" the issues of gender in science fiction. Gah.

    It's too complex for me to understand to be honest. I'm not smart enough, as soon as I figure shit out, shit changes.

    So I stick to the Will Wheaton rule: Don't be a dick.

    I really feel that if I treat people fairly in my real life, and don't be an axe grinding dick in my fiction, the liberal minded folks who read my sort of thing will enjoy it for what it is.

    Meh. I'm just rambling here. I'm not sure I really know anything anymore. The smarter I get the dumber I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to navigate the changing social climate. I'm 50 and I've been a liberal lefty my whole adult life. I still get it wrong all the time and I am at odds with some folks on some issues. I honestly don't get much feedback on my pinup work, so I don't know if anyone thinks I'm a knuckle dragging troglodyte or not.

      But I know my intent and I am honest about my work. I feel like that is enough and if I'm not a dick, then the work will stand on its own merit. I'm not sweating it.

      That being said, it is important to remember the ole Dunning-Kruger effect. Just because I FEEL like I'm getting it right doesn't mean I am. I might not be capable of recognizing when I'm getting it wrong simply due to my history and biases.

      So I try to keep that in mind.

      Delete
  2. Same. I'm only 41 though. I'm POSITIVE people think I'm a trog, and others who think I'm a commie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it depends on the comic. I don't think they should be for everyone unless they are being sold as something for everyone. The problem is that we want to keep people happy and out there we have large groups of very vocal people who are exceptional when it comes to expressing just how unhappy they are.
    Shreya Arora - famously - but wait why?
    Why is her work famous?
    I'd be more impressed if it was actually good, but it isn't. It's functional at best. The work is famous because it's pandering to a crowd which is tired of being given unattainable standards of beauty and they are supporting it on an ideological basis.
    I don't completely disagree with this crowd. I find a lot of T&A to be boring, especially when it has nothing more to offer than T&A, but lead by example! If you're upset with what you see then give us something better to replace it. Don't just complain until finally you get your way and the rest of us are stuck wondering where all the things we used to enjoy disappeared to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anything about Shreya Arora. I don't think their talent is relevant, though. It's a commentary or critique and it hit a nerve. I fully agree with it.

      Also agree that this all depends on the comic, which is my main point.

      Delete