Sunday, August 30, 2020

The Art of Salacious Bawdry

Hello. This blog is all about pinup art, which means you're going to see a bunch of nude, semi-nude, and badass chicks, usually brandishing swords, skulls, and kisses. What follows is a post I wrote on my other blog, Doomslakers, that sums up what Blood Red Pinups is all about.

Read on, dear reader...

Ice ninjas? Fuck yeah.

Ah, the scantily clad femme fatale of fantasy. Long have I viewed and dreamed of her. I fondly remember being an adolescent boy and picking up the Savage Sword of Conan each month from a local mini mart shelf. I grabbed issue #104 and spent far too long looking at the delicious Joe Jusko cover, complete with redhead chick dangling from Conan's sword belt showing all kinds of underboob.

Sexist? Oh yeah, no doubt about it. Conan stories in general are sexist as fuck. If you don't believe me, try reading Howard. Check out The Jewels of Gwahlur and note how many times the damsel breaks down in tears or faints. It's classic 1930s hard man storytelling.

Anyhow... I appreciate a good chainmail bikini. There's a rich aesthetic to it... a kind of metal-and-flesh eroticism that stirs the imagination (and loins, natch). You can do it right. You can do it without being toxic. I have preached about this before. A chainmail bikini image does not a misogynist make. Having your female characters constantly faint and cry... well, that's a different story.

So for me it's really a matter of honesty. Own what you are doing. Don't give me 60 pages of tits and ass and market it as a serious adventure story. It isn't. It's a tits and ass story. Own it.

Erotic, chainmail chick, pinup, R-rated... whatever you want to call it. Just eat the god damned cheesecake and stop calling it caviar. And if you want to do a story that is taken seriously, you need to cut way the fuck back on the cheesecake.

MY NEFARIOUS PLANS FOR THIS BLOG SPACE


First, owing to the fact that I'm at least a little bit obsessed with pinup art, I needed a place to put it all. Images like the one to the right simply don't fit very well into my other venues. I have friends who don't enjoy this kind of work and since it is qualitatively of a different stripe than maybe Cozmic Metal Heads or even Black Pudding, I wanted to give this part of my creative life its own space to breathe. If you aren't into this, click away with my best wishes. This isn't for everyone, I understand.

Which leads me to another thing I'd like to do: explore the entire enterprise of pinup art. It has a long and storied history and I'd love to explore it, understand it, critique it honestly, and celebrate it passionately.

Which leads me to the other thing I want to do: present and explore various artists who have been or are currently doing pinup art. Also, to celebrate other media, such as music and movies, in which the female form is presented in a bawdy mode.

If this sounds good to you, then put this blog on your radar and I'll try to post something as often as I can. You can also follow me on Instagram where I post my pinups @bloodreddm.

Let's rock and roll.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I’ve been a fan and have followed you since the days of the ANOMALIC small press comic series you did. As an artist, your stuff spoke to me in a way that very few other artists work has...STILL does! When I first started my journey in the small press, I was focused on doing superheroes, and nothing else. I studied the work of the most popular mainstream comic artists of the time, put in the work, and developed my “style” to accommodate the subject matter.
    I recently did a couple of stories for a fellow small press creator...on the first project I was just the artist telling HIS story, but on the second project I was writer AND artist. During this project, I discovered(surprisingly), that I really don’t enjoy creating the superhero fare much anymore. I found my creative voice with this subject matter, but now, I’m doing a sci-fi/humor comic strip with a newt and a tadpole as the main characters, and find that I’m in search of a “new” creative voice. I just want to draw my cartoons, and tell my stories, but I know that because of the subject matter, I will never be taken “seriously” as a creator...and that’s ok!
    Your stuff is unapologetically cartoony, and I LOVE it!! You are a huge inspiration to me, and I hope that I can find a niche to fall into, as you found yours, drawing chain-mail bikinis AND nipples lmao. Would love to see your take on my Newt Tronztarr and Tad characters...Peace...🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man! Yeah I did see some stuff you posted about Newt and Tad and it looked pretty cool. I love the cartooning! If I get the presence of mind I might try my hand at the characters. Also, I do appreciate your words. You know first hand how lonely it can be in the creative world so hearing feedback is inspiring. Thank you. Man I seriously need to dig out my old small press stuff from storage.

      Delete
    2. James, thanks for the shout back...you are AWESOME! Just got Rabbits and Rangers from Drive-Thru...it’s awesome too!!

      Delete